The thing I love most about the Bang Bang Tofu sauce, is that it is so spicy, yet not mouth burning. It has just the right amount of spice, and it blends with the tofu and crispy tofu crust perfectly.
I ended up serving this Bang Bang Tofu over rice, because I had lots of extra sauce, and then I added more sauce to the rice. It was amazing. Everything is just a vehicle for sauce, right?!
Copycat Bang Bang Tofu Recipe
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 3/4 cups white flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 1 TBS rice vinegar
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- Canola or vegetable oil; about 1/3 inch deep in a large nonstick pot or skillet
- Green onions, chopped
- First you need to drain the tofu: place a clean dish towel on a cutting board, folded in thirds. Place the tofu on top of the towel. Now, fold another clean dish towel into thirds, and place that on top of the tofu. Place something very heavy on top of the dish towel/tofu (I use a cast iron skillet), and let ‘drain’ for at least 20 minutes. The longer, the better.
- Cut the tofu into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Pour oil into a large stock pot (with tall sides)- it should be about 1/3-1/2 inch deep. Turn heat on medium/low.
- Place the egg yolks in a large bowl. Slowly add the ice water and using a whisk, blend well. Add the flour and quickly stir to mix- it should still have clumps.** Turn heat up to medium/high under the pot.
- Dip each tofu cube into the batter, and drop into very hot oil. Fry for about 2 minutes, flip and fry the other side; about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and place on paper towels to let some of the grease drain. Continue until tofu is all cooked. Do not overcrowd tofu while cooking.
- In a bowl mix mayonnaise, Sriracha, rice vinegar, and sugar. Toss the mixture with the tofu; coat evenly. Scatter green onions over the top.
- Serve with extra sauce for dipping, over rice or quinoa, and enjoy!
Recipe Source : Copycat Bang Bang Tofu @ domesticsuperhero