This tastes like a cross between cheesy garlic bread and bacon dip !!
Another very appealing feature of this stuffed baguette is that you can make it ahead. It freezes perfectly! I freeze them wrapped in foil then cling wrap (or I pop it in large ziplock bags).
To serve, just let them defrost, then pop them right in the oven! I tried baking it from frozen once but the crust got a little too brown for my liking before the cream cheese filling warmed through and the cheese melted.
Cheesy Jalapeno Bacon Stuffed Baguette with Garlic Butter Recipe
A new idea for party food! This is great for making ahead. Just assemble then pop it in the freezer until you need it, then all you have to do is bake them when you are ready to serve! So many options for fillings….I’ve provided a few more ideas in the notes.
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 8 oz / 250g bacon, diced (I used lean bacon)
- 1 x 20″ / 50 cm baguette / french stick
- 8 oz / 250g Philadelphia cream cheese, softened (full or low fat)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup packed jalapeños, finely chopped (if using fresh, deseed it. Or use canned, drained)
- 1 cup finely chopped scallions/shallots, green and white part (packed)
- Black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Add bacon and cook until lightly browned. Remove onto a plate lined with a paper towel to drain excess fat. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the ends off the baguette and cut the baguette in half (or quarters – makes it easier to stuff).
- Use a long knife (preferably bread knife) to cut the bread out, leaving about a 1/2″ / 1.5cm wall of bread and crust. (Note 2)
- Place the bacon, cream cheese, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, jalapeños, scallions/shallots and pepper in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Use a knife or piping bag to stuff the mixture inside the baguettes.
- Garlic Butter: melt butter with the garlic and salt in the microwave or on the stove.
- Brush the baguette with garlic butter (or you can do this after you slice it).
- Slice the baguette into 1 1/4cm / 1/2″ slices.
- Keep the slices pressed up against each other, and transfer to a large piece of foil.
- Wrap the baguette, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bread is crusty and the cheese inside is melted.
- For optimal experience, serve warm!
1. You can use tasty or any other cheese with flavour.
2. Keep the bread you remove to make breadcrumbs! Let it dry out on a plate, then crumble and store in an airtight container until required.
3. To make ahead: Assemble the baguette then wrap in foil then with cling wrap and place in the freezer until required. To reheat, defrost and bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes. I don’t recommend baking from frozen because the crust will be a very dark brown before the centre heats up enough for the cheese to melt.
4. Filling options: You just need 4 cups of any combination of fillings (cheese, pepperoni etc) mixed with 250g / 8oz of cream cheese in order to have enough filling for a 50cm / 20″ baguette. I think that 1 cup of cheddar or other flavour cheese combined with 1/2 cup of mozzarella is a good ratio of stretchy to flavoured cheese, but you can mix it up as you want. The mozzarella is there for the “stretch”.