Baked Donuts filled with jelly are incredibly soft, airy and melt-in-you-mouth delicious. Donuts are the ultimate comfort food. The aroma from the oven and the little hint of jelly peeking out of the side make these irresistible.
To put it delicately, baked donuts are the healthier option compared to traditional deep-fried donuts. They don’t leave you feeling as guilty about your choices. You only need 1 Tbsp of melted butter to coat all 12 donuts! Are donuts good for you? In the end, they are still sugar covered carbs… glorious carbs! Eat responsibly.
Baked Donuts Filled with Jelly Recipe
Baked Donuts are incredibly soft, airy and melt-in-you-mouth delicious. This homemade donut recipe is easy and always gets rave reviews! The little hint of jelly peeking out of the side makes them irresistible.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour divided, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast quick acting, (1 packet = 7 grams)
- 2/3 cup warm milk 110˚F – microwave 35 sec.
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup jelly or jam (no large fruit pieces)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar to roll donuts
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) instant yeast and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Add warm milk, 3 Tbsp melted butter, 2 egg yolks and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and whisk vigorously to combine well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature 10 minutes, until some bubbles form on the surface.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, adding just enough until dough holds together and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Knead in the bowl 5 minutes. If dough is really sticking to your hands, dust lightly with flour then continue kneading with clean dry hands. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a 100˚F oven for 45 min or at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375˚F with rack in the center of the oven.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll the dough out to just under 1/2” thick. Cut circles using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps if needed to make 12 donuts total. Place donuts on prepared baking sheet, cover with a tea towel and let rise in a 100˚F oven for 20 min or at room temperature 45 min, or until puffed. Bake uncovered in the center of a preheated oven at 375˚F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Right out of the oven, brush a hot bun all over with remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter and roll in a bowl of sugar to coat lightly with sugar. Cut a deep slit in the side of each donut and pipe jam with a pastry bag into each one.
For best results, be sure to measure the flour correctly – spoon it into the cup and level off the top for an accurate measure.
Recipe Source : Baked Donuts Filled with Jelly @ natashaskitchen