Scampi-Style Steak & Scallops with Roasted Asparagus is an impressive dish and takes only 30 minutes in the kitchen to prepare. Tenderloin steak seared in butter and finished with scallops in subtle accents of lemon zest, white wine, garlic, and fresh basil is surf-n-turf heaven.
Scampi-Style Steak & Scallops Recipe
Tenderloin steak and scallops seared in butter then finished in subtle accents of lemon zest, white wine, garlic, and fresh basil.
For the Steak & Scallops
- 10 ounces beef tenderloin steaks 2 (5 ounce) steaks, 1 1/2-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces sea scallops 6 large scallops, rinse and pat dr
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onions (about 4 scallions), white and light green part
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Season steaks with salt and pepper. In a 10 to 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until hot and bubbly (more can be added, if needed). Add steaks to skillet and brown on one side for 4 to 5 minutes. (At this point, begin the sauce in another small, non-reactive skillet or wide sauce pan as described in step 2.)
- Turn the steaks on end and rotate to brown the sides (this will take about 3 minutes), then turn over to brown the final side for 4 to 5 minutes. When turning the steak to brown the last side, add scallops to the skillet to brown at the same time, about 2 minutes on each side.
- To make the sauce in the separate skillet, sauté onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat 3-4 minutes, until fragrant. Add wine and lemon juice; simmer to reduce slightly, 1-2 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons butter and stir until melted into the sauce. If the steak and scallops are not yet done, slide the sauce off heat until they are ready.
- Once the scallops are browned on each side, stir the fresh basil, parsley, lemon zest, and hot pepper sauce into the scampi sauce. Reduce heat to low, add the scallops, spooning the sauce over the scallops. Once the steaks reach an internal temperature of 125°F (the rare side of medium-rare), add to the pan with the scampi sauce and spoon sauce over the steaks.
- Divide the steaks and scallops evenly between two plates and serve immediately, spooning more sauce over both the scallops and the steak